No matter where your put your baby to bed, it’s important that you make it a safe sleeping environment. Here are a few guidelines to help make sure everyone gets a good night’s sleep–safely.
Tips For Everyone:
- Make sure the mattress is firm.
- Place baby on his back to sleep.
- Check to make sure there are no gaps, cords, loose fabric, etc. that baby could get stuck in.
- Make sure the sheet is fitted tightly and cannot be pulled loose.
- Avoid overheating baby.
Tips For Cosleepers:
- It’s best to place baby between mother and the wall or side rail.
- Consider placing your mattress on the floor to eliminate the risk of falls.
- Make sure your bed is big enough for everyone–the bigger the better.
- Make sure your sleepwear that is safe for baby–no ribbons, strings, or excessively loose clothing.
- Do not wear perfumes or use strong-smelling soaps.
- NEVER sleep with your baby if you are under the influence of drugs, alcohol, medications, or anything else that might impair your ability to be aware of your baby.
- If you smoke, do not share a bed with baby.
One more thing: Couches are NOT safe places for baby to sleep.